The #HIREAWOMAN Series Features Wardrobe and Prop Stylist Gretchen Bell

When Gretchen Bell styles, she’s all about classic silhouettes, the the kind of pieces that she can reach for again and again. Unique accessories and materials—textures and patterns—are at the core of what makes her work stand out. This week, we're continuing our article series exploring the talented women of Sally Reps by talking with Gretchen who’s ready to spill some of her favorite resources and style inspirations.

What is the most exciting and creative place you have recently found for wardrobe or props?
I love hunting for props at thrift stores, especially for retro vases, old books and interesting accessories.  I am really excited about some of the pop-up shops around town and at Nordstrom. Seattle has pretty limited resources, so pop up shops are a great way to shop for pieces we don’t normally see. I recently met a great jeweler at Pike’s Market that I am excited to work with. 

How much of your propping is influenced by Instagram or other forms of digital media?
Instagram is a huge influence. I am currently obsessed with Marianne Theodorsen for her pattern mixing and use of color. I love street style photos. I also find great inspiration from artists and their use of color and texture. 

Do you look to other stylists for inspiration?
I certainly am inspired by other stylists. There is so much great work in the world. It’s always fun to see pieces that I have used in a shoot and then see how another stylist used them in their shoot. Might be a fun experiment someday to have a group of stylists style with the same items!

Are there magazines you go to for creative inspiration?
I have thousands of magazines. Unfortunately, I have very little time to get to them. I love Domino, The NY Times Magazine is always a favorite, and Vogue, obviously. I actually love books more. Grace: Thirty Years of Fashion is a favorite. Grace Coddington is my idol. Her Style by Odile Gilbert is another favorite. 

Comments