Women Behind the Lens: A Series Celebrating Women and Great Work


For the next several weeks, we will be highlighting the talented women on the roster at Sally Bjornsen Represents. These ladies are creative forces in life and business and continually inspire us with their determination and passion for the work. We’re excited to kick off the series with Seattle-based food and lifestyle photographer, Sarah Flotard. Whether it’s an award-winning chef creating a beautiful dish or a group of people enjoying a picnic, Sarah’s photography tells the story of people coming together around food—from farm to fork. Her editorial work has been featured by publications including The New York TimesBon AppetitSunset and The Los Angeles Times and she recently wrapped image campaigns for Starbucks and La Brea Bakery. Always fresh and authentic, sometimes funny, Sarah brings a unique sense of style to all her subjects.

Which female photographers or entrepreneurs inspire you? 

I’m inspired by all women who have chosen to work in this very competitive business—stylists, photographers, producers, directors, assistants, you name it.

Photography has historically been a male-dominated industry. What skills or innate ability do women bring to the table?

I have always felt a photographer is a photographer. Male or female, it doesn’t matter in terms of what kind of leadership, creativity and enthusiasm any person brings to a shoot; you either have it or you don’t. That said, I have always enjoyed the energy of an all-female set. It’s rare that it happens, but when it does, there’s a palpable sense that something special is occurring. Sadly, it’s still like finding a four-leaf clover, but I have a feeling the tides are turning. 

How do you stay fresh creatively?
I try and make a picture every day. Sometimes they are portfolio-worthy, sometimes not, but it energizes me to just simply make something for no other reason than I gave myself the time and space to do it. It can be very freeing to work alone, experiment, style shots in a non-collective way, without anyone to appeal to but yourself. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy the collective process, because that can be magical, but some of my favorite work has come from my home studio with a crew of one (me).


Are you most inspired when you are shooting or editing? 

I am most inspired when I’m shooting. Software is so nimble these days that you can almost edit as you work!

You can see Sarah's work at www.sarahflotard.com or www.sallyreps.com.


Comments

Popular Posts