San Francisco Commercial Photographer Brad Knipstein Let's Us Tag Along



This week we are behind the scenes with our talented artists at Sally Bjornsen Represents!
Who better to give us a rundown of a day-in-the-life than one of San Francisco’s leading commercial photographers, Brad Knipstein. Brad’s known for his captivating interior photography, making him a go-to for legacy brands like Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn, and the darling of many boutique architecture and interior design firms. He brings the perfect combination of artistry and technique to every project. Plus, he’s got mad computer skills. How does he do it? We followed him around for a day to find out.
Brad Knipstein Photography

7:00 AM I start the day off with my favorite morning drink, Levity Brew, a blend of coffee, tea and herbs. For years, I had been trying to quit coffee. I actually did the photography for Levity Brew in San Francisco, and in the process, fell in love with their product. 

8:00 AM Time to pack up. Usually the night before, I reflect on the goal of the shoot and decide which equipment I need depending on the scale of the project and location. I’m a stickler for having all the right tools in my toolbox so on set, I’m free to work in the moment.

9:00 AM When I arrive, I walk through the location and determine the order of shots for the day. Of course, light, product and client needs all factor into this equation. I’ll usually take a moment to catch up with the stylists and designers about props and lighting. Once the order is established, I immediately begin work on the composition for the first shots.

Noon Lunch brings everyone together and gives us a chance to discuss life outside of the photo shoot. Mentally, it’s a reprieve from the intense focus of the work and gives us a chance to recharge creatively.  

1:00 PM The afternoon is spent re-assessing which shots we need to complete before the end of the day. If we are running ahead of schedule, it gives us time to add shots.

8:00 PM After the shoot, I’m careful to always back up the files in at least two different places, then I can start the editing process. Most images need retouching, and I like to take an uninterrupted day or two to complete that process. It gives me a great sense of satisfaction to bring the space to life in Photoshop. I’m always excited to show the finished images to the team so I can get feedback and share the sense of accomplishment.
 Brad Knipstein Photography

9:00 PM When I have time, I like to catch up with friends. We might grab oysters at the Waterbar near the Bay Bridge or drink a stout or porter at Magnolia Pub & Brewery closer to home. I easily find inspiration walking the Land's End Trail with views of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge. On a quiet night, you’ll find me reading. I just started The Season of the Witch by David Talbot. The San Francisco focus is really fun.

Visit www.sallyreps.com to see Brad's portfolio.

Comments