How To Make the Perfect Thanksgiving Pie


While we typically think turkey when it comes to Thanksgiving, Seattle-based food stylist Rachel Grunig has always found her creative outlet in baking. And, this year, Grunig is seeing a big resurgence in fancy crusts.
“There’s just so much you can do with pie dough, decorative crimping and latticework to make a pie look really special. I love pumpkin, pecan and apple pies for Thanksgiving," says Grunig. "I always egg wash my crust so that it’s nicely golden brown and I usually add a sprinkle of raw sugar for texture. If you have the skills or motivation to make a fancy crust, go for it!” 

For inspiration, Grunig recommends a look at @lokokitchen’s Instagram feed for their amazing pie dough sculpture. However, she's quick to admit there’s an easier route to a delicious holiday dessert.
“I love crumbles! They’re delicious, easy to make and the flavor can be tweaked in so many ways. I would definitely make an apple crumble for Thanksgiving. Honestly, anything goes as long as what you’re making tastes good.” 

To see Rachel’s gorgeous food styling, visit www.sallyreps.com.

Comments