The #HireAWoman Series Features Photo Stylist and Set Designer Lauren Day


-->

As enterprising as her work is enviable, Seattle-based prop stylist and set designer Lauren Day is known in the industry for her vibrant, approachable style and tireless work ethic. Never one to rest on her laurels, Lauren is constantly exploring aesthetics, collaborating with artists and building what she can't find. She's one of the lucky ones who lives her work and loves every minute. As part of our article series exploring the talented women of Sally Reps, Lauren takes time out to participate in our Q&A.


What is the most exciting and creative place you have recently found for wardrobe or props?
I can’t pick just one so I’ll narrow it down to three local spots worth mentioning:
  • The Pacific Galleries Antique Mall in SODO is one of my favorite spaces. I can easily spend two to three hours meandering there and I come back again and again for shoots. 
  • Watson Kennedy is another Seattle staple for me. They stock everything from food to personal care items, textiles and housewares. The store does a great job with visual merchandising and is lovely to walk through. I love the special detail they add to all of their items.
  • The Frye Art Museum Store carries a beautiful collection of carefully selected objects all made by designers from the Pacific NW. 

How much of your propping is influenced by Instagram or other forms of digital media?
I can scroll endlessly through my Instagram feed with the best of them, but I don’t feel that aimless sessions necessarily produce much of anything that translates to my work. I find that if I approach Instagram or Pinterest, or other forms of digital media with a question or a problem to solve, I have a much more focused and productive time finding inspiration for my work. 

Do you look to other stylists for inspiration?
Yes! I absolutely look to other stylists for inspiration. I also find myself endlessly interested in creatives who work on a large scale creating and building sets. I have a major work crush on Adi Goodrich and Sean Peckhold of Sing-Sing Studio in LA. They make some killer environments. 

Are there magazines you look to for creative inspiration?
I don’t pick up magazines very often, but I might grab something like Monocle. I loved the Lucky Peach. I'll also look at The Gentlewoman or Vogue. I tend to prefer looking through design, art and photography books to fuel fresh ideas. 

Take a look at Lauren's portfolio here

Comments